Skilled Migration

Skilled Migration Visa

The skilled migration visa allows experienced migrant personnel who contribute considerably to the Australian economy to fill positions that local resources cannot occupy.

The nominations depend on the Australian skilled migration points, cumulative of the applicant’s age, English proficiency, work experience, and educational qualification.

There are five programs under the general migration scheme.


Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)

This scheme is for workers with skills needed to live. The applicant is expected to submit an Expression of Inclination to the Skill select scheme and must earn a minimum score. In addition, their occupation must come under the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List. Once selected, they can live anywhere in Australia permanently. Successful applicants and those who hold Australian Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189) are yielded permanent residence in Australia. This will allow you and your eligible family members to:

Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 491)

The applicant must nominate the state or territory government to qualify for this program. The submission of an Expression of interest in the Skillset is also needed. Upon selection, the candidate can work and live in specific regional areas of their choice for up to five years. Workers granted the 491 visas will be able to stay in Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted and be eligible to travel to and from Australia as often as they like. The best part is they can apply for permanent Australian residence from November 16, 2022.

As with all visa applications, specific requirements must be met. For the 491 visas, these are:

Skilled Nomination visa (subclass 190)

Expression of Interest is mandatory for this type of visa, and the candidate needs to be nominated by the Australian state or the Territory government. Those who come in with the point-based program can stay permanently. The Skilled Nominated Visa offers a permanent residence visa for those who aspire to work and live as long as they want in Australia after being nominated by a State or Territory Government agency. This visa is an alternative for skilled workers with the qualifications or skills who may not pass the points test required to obtain a Skilled Independent Visa ( Subclass 189).

Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485)

This scheme is for international students who have completed their education in an Australian institution. There are two streams in this visa route – the graduate work stream and the post-study work stream. The former is for students with the requisite qualifications for the jobs listed under the eligible skilled occupations. They can work in Australia for 18 months. The latter is for students who have obtained a higher education degree from Australia. Irrespective of their skill sets, they can stay in Australia for 24 months after completing their education and seek employment. This stream is suited to international students who graduate with skills and qualifications related to their occupation. They are entitled to a visa for up to 24 months.

You can apply for this visa in the Graduate Work stream if you meet the criteria:


Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) visa (Subclass 191)

The Permanent Residence (Skilled Regional) Visa (Subclass 191) allows individuals holding a qualifying visa who have lived for at least three years in a designated regional area and have earned the specified income to reside permanently in Australia. The visa can include eligible members of your family. You do not need a sponsor or be nominated for this visa.